Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:19 pm 

Not new in the world of gear, but on the radar for flies:

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fish ... ent-300379

Sunday Classic / Scent attractor in fly fishing?

Posted on January 21, 2018 / by Louis Cahill

Leave a bad taste in your mouth? Photo by Louis Cahill

I recently did a photo-shoot for Attraxx, a company whose name may be familiar to some of you.

Attraxx makes soft plastic baits for gear fishing in both fresh and saltwater. These aren’t your grandfather’s rubber worms. The plastics are infused with five patented attractors that stimulate fish into striking. It’s apparently far more complex than just scent or taste and frankly I don’t totally understand all of the details. These guys have a handful of PhDs to my none, but I spent a few days watching these high tech baits in action and I can tell you they work insanely well.

I’m not a gear fisherman. I don’t say that because I feel like I’m above it. Gear fishing takes a lot of skill and knowledge, it’s just not my thing. I don’t do it so I’m not good at it and I don’t understand it. Doug Long, the man behind Attraxx, does understand it. I’ve known Doug for years as a skilled fly fisherman and we’ve wetted our boots together on plenty of occasions so I was surprised to hear that he was now running a plastic bait company.

I was even more surprised to hear that Attraxx is considering new products for fly fishermen. Imagine that, flies tied with materials that release neural stimulators into the water, whipping fish into a feeding frenzy. A couple of years ago I’d have said, “no way! Nobody will buy it,” but these days, I’m not so sure. Let’s look at the trend.

People raised a fuss when fly tyers started using foam in their flies. There are still a few fly fishing competitions that do not allow foam but I wager that everyone reading this has a foam pattern or two in their box. I know I do. For that matter fly tyers have embraced all manner of synthetics in their patterns and with good reason. They work! What’s the difference between foam and rubber legs? This trend has played out so far that my tying materials now include condoms. It was a tough sell for my wife the first time I packed condoms for a fishing trip but now even she thinks it’s OK.

Streamer fisherman (and I count myself) are among the greatest innovators or worst offenders, depending on how you look at it. I’ve had friends laugh out loud at my streamer patterns, only to ask for a closer look after the third or fourth fish. They are all articulated, some have rattling beads or move like a rapala and most have as much flash as a Kiss concert.

Saltwater tyers are not new to this game either. The first fly I ever saw with a rattle was a permit fly. This trickery doesn’t end there. Montana Fly Company’s new “Crabby Patty”, a fly I love, features lifelike cast rubber crab claws and legs and an actual photo of a crab shell on it’s back. That’s right, a photo! I mean, damn!

One of the coolest new fly fishing products for 2013 is West Water’s Spectrum Response. A spray that makes flies glow under UV light. Under the right conditions it works and I’ve used it and recommended it and I don’t have any ethical issue with it.

So why am I recoiling at the idea of scent attractors?

What’s the difference between what works and what works too well? Where is the line? Is there a line? I’ve embraced synthetics and flash and rattles and articulation and photocopies and glow-in-the-dark hair spray. Why does scent feel wrong?

I’m not going to pretend to have the answer. What I want is to know is what you think. I’m sure there will be a great outcry against this idea and I want to hear it, but what I’m really curious about is who can sell me on the idea. If you’re thinking, “where can I get me some of that Attraxx stuff?” please! Tell me what you think.

I’m listening…and so are they.

Louis Cahill
Gink & Gasoline
http://www.ginkandgasoline.com
hookups@ginkandgasoline.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:05 pm 

Kind of like fat girls and motor scooters...Both fun but you wouldn't want your buddies to know you ride them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:11 pm 

I've always been blessed by not much caring what buddies...or anyone else...thought about what I was doing.

Seldom felt the need to justify, either.

Scroom if'n they don't get it...

Makes for a simple life.

but anyway...back the topic: Curious about other's thoughts on the subject?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:47 am 

My favorite and nearest fishing hole is the Chattahoochee, which has an artificial only section where I usually fish where scents are prohibited. Personally, I used scents when warm water fishing with plastic worms and grubs don't see it being a big deal but if the rule say No, I follow the rules.

I understand one of the best ways to catch a White Amur (grass carp) is to put tomato juice on your fly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:31 pm 

I recall reading in Reynolds' "Pike on the Fly", that as a kid, he found pike belly to be the best ever pike bait.

...I can recall a couple of occasions where a pike would get a little blood on the hair on a Mepps #5...and the next hit would typically be ferocious...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 pm 

There are limits, and there should be, in keeping fly fishing a "sport". It seems that scent attraction devices are just another "foot in the door" to what remains of the purity of our sport and it's traditional standards.
I'm sure that somewhere out there someone is aiming to develop a miniature insert that will drive the movements of a fly to perfectly match that of the insect chosen. No thanks, I won't go there regardless of the success of the "invention."
As I see it, we are predators, quite away up the "food chain" from the trout certainly, but not their savage enemies. The Browns, Brookies, Rainbows and such are more to us than basic food sources....and we should be something that they could respect as worthy, honorable challengers.

Bux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:04 pm 

On one hand, I agree with Bux.
On the other, looking back I've spent a LOT days on the water with only a dink or two or even nothing to show for it.
On those days I'd be more than happy to have an advantage ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:08 pm 

'I've spent a LOT days on the water with only a dink or two or even nothing to show for it."

Colorado,
That's why we call it "Fishing" instead of "Catching."
Bux :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:53 pm 

The use of scent or scented materials is illegal on many streams in NC.... not that I haven't considered it 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 pm 

Further North wrote:
I recall reading in Reynolds' "Pike on the Fly", that as a kid, he found pike belly to be the best ever pike bait.

...I can recall a couple of occasions where a pike would get a little blood on the hair on a Mepps #5...and the next hit would typically be ferocious...

A friend of a friend from the Muscle Shoals, AL area reportedly like to rub his lure on the belly of a fresh caught fish to pick up the fish smell. I never knew how much if at all it helped him.