Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: She did it!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:01 pm 

After my success a week ago, Mary was insistent I take her back to the spot so she could have another chance to land her first fish on a fly rod. I had two days booked to fish a couple of rivers to the South (but that's another story) so I couldn't take her out until Saturday.

We left early because the weather has been dry and hot and the local rivers are low and warm quickly so early morning was about our only option. We got to the river just after 7:00 and were fishing by 7:30. We started at the run where I had hooked 5 the week before but didn't get a touch. I started to worry that the fish were already in survival mode. I decided we should head for the big deep hole 50 yards downstream. On the way I could see splashy rises from fish chasing damsel flies. Well, at least there were fish feeding. I placed Mary at the top end of the hole where I hooked so many small rainbows and I went 50 feet downstream. I didn't even get my first cast in when I see Mary's rod bent and her trying to get her line onto the reel. I set my rod down and headed to help her, offering instructions on when to reel, making sure she faced the fish and kept her rod high. In just a minute or two, I scooped a lovely 10" rainbow into my net. The jinx was broken!

Once she calmed sown we headed back to our original positions. I'm stripping line off my reel to cast over to the current when I glance over and see Mary has hooked another fish! This one made a strong run downstream and we were both worried it would get under one of the logs there. I could tell it was a better fish by the duration of its struggles. Mary kept her cool enough to gradually bring the fish nearer. Fortunately it never made it under a log and when it got within about 20 feet, I could see it was a really good fish. I didn't dare say anything for fear Mary would panic. She played the fish like a long time angler and when I finally got the net around its nose and lifted it out of the water, Mary was stunned by how big it was...3.6 pounds and 23" long. What great fish!

She even managed to land one more of about 12" before I called a stop to our fishing because of the rapidly increasing temperature. The water was getting to warm and the fish went off the bite. Of course, I din't land anything for taking time to help but I didn't mind at all.

Post subject: Re: She did it!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:18 pm 

That is so fantastic Michael. I'm so happy for her to have finally caught her first on the fly rod. The second just kinda ticks me off!!!! What a lovely fish!! How I wish to catch those kind of fish, but in my years of fishing they've been few and far between. I'm afraid you've got her hooked now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:09 pm 

Michael really is cruel this time of year...Girls catching big fish isn't enough...they're in short sleeves.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:53 pm 

Well done Sir and M'am!
Grand report and pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:40 pm 

Well done Mary!!

That second fish is impressive. A fish that size is easy enough to lose if not played well.
That is a great fish.

Brian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:01 pm 

Big congrats to both of you!

I know that feeling well. I was trying to teach my son Evan how to fly fish after his first deployment, and being very unsuccessful at it. My friend, once known as Piscador here, went with us one day to teach Evan and finally got him catching fish. I will never forget that day.

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:00 am 

Mary, you are a trooper and obviously a talented fisher! Congratulations on the fish!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:35 pm 

Congratulations to both Michael and Mary!

John, currently in Cabo San Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:54 pm 

Very cool story!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:43 pm 

Mike,

It would be best that you regularly catch a few fish larger than hers if you wish to maintain the "pecking order" on the river. Next thing you'll be assigned to doing the grocery shopping, laundry and washing the dishes.

Bux