Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Furled leaders
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm 

I've been using furled leaders for about 5 years now and I cannot imagine going back to the multi-knotted tapered leaders that were the regular (and single) option for many decades.

I've been very pleased with those from both Blue Sky and from Clear Stream.
Each firm supplies uni-thread furled leaders in 6 ft lengths...but, make sure you get those made with the tiny ring built-in at the tip.
So much easier and time-saving to live with and the only stuff you add is the tippet (your call for the size and length of the tippet mat'l you add easily ... tied to the ring, with a simple clinch knot.
They roll cast and handle short and long casting easily.
Some have complained that they hold and spray water when casting in delicate situations...I haven't found that to be an issue...but I'm not all that persnickity either.

Bux

Post subject: Re: Furled leaders
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 pm 

Also a big fan for dry fly fishing, though I do very little of that. They are very useful when fishing small VA stream for brookies.

I anticipate that after moving to San Antonio, I will have little use for them, as most of my fishing for trout will be on the Guadalupe River in the winter, which will be tiny midges fished deep.

Post subject: Re: Furled leaders
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:22 pm 

I think they'll straighten out a cast better than a non-tapered leader, but I do think they spray a bit. I tend to curve a cast to the right for some reason and the furled leaders straighten this out.