Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New glass rod test
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:54 pm 

My buddy Jim gets these fits. He had a fit a while back about liking fiberglass rods. As he usually does, when he gets a fit, he bought one. He got one of the new Echo Riverglass rods in an 8'6" 5 wt. configuration. Last evening we finally got to test cast it. He has a retention pond in his back yard so we used that. I cast the rod as did he and his girlfriend, who is a pretty good caster in her own right. I cast it with both a 5 and 6 wt line. After giving it a pretty good working over I congratulated him on owning a $225 tomato stake. I was not the least bit impressed with this rod. It was just a dog. I think the tip of the rod is just so soft that it just have enough backbone to throw a line. I struggled to get more than 40 ft. of line moving. The bad part was that I couldn't get it to throw any kind of reasonably tight loop.

The rod looks well made, and is sorta pretty according to his girlfriend. It a very light, nearly transparent blue color. It has a downlocking reel seat and snake guides. But it just won't hunt as far as I'm concerned.

Post subject: Re: New glass rod test
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:08 pm 

Good review, thanks.

Did you consider going up to a 7 wt. line? It might load the rod further down the blank.

It might just be me, and my casting style, but I find that a lot of new rods don't align with their stated line weight.

I've a a St. Croix that's nominally an 8 wt...I've got a 330 gr. line on it, and it makes throwing 70 ft. casts pretty easy, even with a big bass popper on the end.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:49 pm 

Knowing one rod Satch gave at least enough of a good grade to to palm it off on a friend, if he says a rod is a dog, it's really a dog.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:45 pm 

FN it wasn't about the rod not loading. The rod didn't have enough backbone to do anything with the load. It was just a wimpy tool. I'm a reasonably decent caster and that rod is a dog.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 pm 

Colston Newton wrote:
Knowing one rod Satch gave at least enough of a good grade to to palm it off on a friend, if he says a rod is a dog, it's really a dog.

I get that.. Had a few of those...

Shotguns too. It's amazing to me how few people get what a good one feels like...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:36 pm 

Satchel wrote:
FN it wasn't about the rod not loading. The rod didn't have enough backbone to do anything with the load. It was just a wimpy tool. I'm a reasonably decent caster and that rod is a dog.

Thanks...I was just wondering...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:33 am 

Interesting. Shows that it's not just the material, but the taper/design,etc... I generally love the feel of a good glass rod.