Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:21 pm 

My back has gotten to the point that walking more than about 50 yards causes a lot of pain. I have to rest it start again and repeat. Once I get to the stretch I want to fish its not much of a bother because I usually don't fish great stretches but concentrate on one. Its the walking to those stretches that kills me. 1.) How far do you go to reach the water you want to fish and 2.) once there, how long a stretch do you actually fish.?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 pm 

Well, it varies greatly. Sometimes all the walking I do is from the car to the boat. If I'm fishing with a guide that's about it. Most often I don't even wear waders when fishing with a guide. There are occasions that I do, just sort of depends on the guide and location. Fishing with Lance Wilt on the White in Arkansas we were in and out of the boat several times each day. When just wading I can fish a fairly long distance depending on the water. Clarks Creek north of Harrisburg, Pa. had a long stretch of about 2 miles, if I remember right, that was flies only. I don't think I ever waded the whole thing in one day, but over the course of two days fishing there we did. I wold think that on most streams over the course of a full day of wading I'd be able to cover most of a mile. Might be kidding myself a little, but not really if you sit occasionally and rest, and get out and bypass the real hard wading stretches.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:33 pm 

I’m leaving my home next week and driving to MT to fish. I’ve been making that trip every year since I retired in 2001 although this is the first year since then that my wife and I haven’t spent the entire summer there. This year I plan to stay there until I either get tired of fishing, or get frozen out. (Could be a week, or a month or longer.)

Over the course of my past summers in MT I fished more days than not, although sometimes I only walked 10’ to fish the Yellowstone River in the evening, while other times I may have walked 10 miles over the course of a day. I also spent many days in my drift boat where we covered a lot of river miles but might not have walked more than a few feet.

My first stop after I get to MT next week will be to fish the Boulder River south of Big Timber. I’ll hike about 3/4 mile before I stop to fish my favorite run. There’s a nice shady spot on the bank there that i’ll probably sit for awhile, and perhaps eat my lunch there. Depending on how things go, I’ll probably fish 5 or 6 hours and a mile or 2 of the river before making my way back to my truck.

That’ll be more or less typical of what I expect to do on this trip, although I will be fishing for several days with a good friend from Washington who is 10 years older than me, and I expect we’ll be fishing a few places where we can park right beside the river and probably not walk more than a mile total, spread over a couple hours.

I don’t know how may more years I can fish this way, and I know I’m slowing down some every year. But, so far so good.

John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:23 am 

Most places I fish in the Catskills have parking very close to the water,within 100 yds or so.In some locations,I'll walk the bank downstream about 1/2 mile and fish my way back upstream.On water I start near the access and work my way upstream,I may do up to a mile and then walk the bank on the way back.On my local (across the road) I usually cover about a 1/2 mile of water.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:47 am 

Lots, but I fish from a boat more often than not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:20 pm 

Typically, about a 3/4-mile stretch of walking and fishing. At my age, I need to rest after about 3 hours of fishing.

John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:12 pm 

I'll take you on the Davidson to get your exercise...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:54 pm 

John "Silverhilton ",

Sounds lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:32 pm 

Since I retired, I fish 2-4 days a week when the river flows and weather permit. I will fish lowland steams mostly because I don't need to chase big fish every day. I do try to fish challenging rivers once every week or two to keep my skills up to scratch. Even with the time and effort I out in, the big browns in the Nelson region are often extremely challenging.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:44 pm 

Thanks, Robbie. It may happen - my parents are buried in Fletcher, and I haven't been down there for a few years.

John