Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: She's BAAACK!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:32 am 

Last week Mary got the green light from her physiotherapist to go fishing if she took it easy. You can guess the pressure she exerted on me to take her out. The first chance last Wednesday wound up a fiasco. I had agreed to take her out and pick her up at 10:00 am. The weather and river levels were good but I got involved with rushing around downtown to get some urgent shopping done and forgot to pick her up on time. She rang me and said “Where are you?” I had to grovel abjectly and say I’d be there in 30 minutes once I got the car loaded and a lunch put together. I no sooner disconnected when I got another phone call. This one was from work telling me I was needed to go to Greymouth for a fish sample. It’s a 4 hour drive and I would have to leave by 3:00 pm to get well down the road before dark. I rang Mary to give her the bad news and promise to take her out this week.

In between, we had the Trout Fishing Club’s annual dinner where Mary again took home three trophies, Ladies’ distance spin casting, Ladies’ distance fly casting, and best story of the year in the newsletter (about her fist fish on a fly).

We now come to today, Wednesday, 26 June. I picked Mary up at 9:30 and we headed to a spot I knew would be easy wading and brought a deck chair so she could go sit down if needed. We arrived about 10:00 and were wading out by 10:30 after struggling with her waders because of all the layers of clothing she wore. Yes, there was still frost in the shade and a Southwest breeze had a bite to it. The river looked inviting and was low enough that we could easily wade to casting distance of the far channel.

I put Mary in a spot I had caught fish from previously while I fished about 30” downstream. Neither of us had much luck and Mary struggled with her casting a bit from lack of practice. I decided we should move upstream but wanted to help get her casting tidied up first. I swapped rods and showed her how to cast into the breeze and emphasised casting upstream to give the nymph time to sink for a longer drift. Halfway through the drift, the indicator vanished and I lifted into a winter brown. I handed Mary her rod, backed off a few feet and used her smart phone to preserve the moment.

She handled the fish like she had never paused fishing and we soon had a lovely 14” brown in the net.

Mary returned to her spot and I moved to 30’ upstream of her. Nothing for about 5 minutes and then I hear “Michael, I’ve got another one!” Sure enough she was fighting another trout.

This one wasn’t a large but Mary was an old hand now and deftly held the fish at arms length to make it look larger than its 12”.

We moved upstream a bit to work a fresh part of the run. I got 30’ upstream and made one drift when I hear “Michael!” I turn to see this.

Mary didn’t even panic when the fish decided to act like an agitator.

This fish was about the same size as the first and I am beginning to regret giving up the opportunity to land it.

We then moved upstream about 100 feet to the top end of the hole. I put Mary below the end of a log while I moved above it. We beat the water to a froth to no avail. I decided to call it time for lunch and started downstream. I cast my nymph beyond the log and started walking down to Mary keeping pace with the drift. I was within a rod’s length of her and started to tell her to reel up when I glanced over and saw my indicator was missing. I lifted gently thinking I had snagged a rock. I was stunned to find a good fish on the other end.

I wasn’t sure of the size because I was using my 3wt and it gets a healthy bend for medium sized fish. As time passed and I wasn’t making much of any headway, I began to think not could be a decent brown. The fish then rolled and I saw wide tail that told me it was twice the size of any we had caught. It then ran upstream to make up for the original downstream streak.

The fish jumped a couple of times and rolled to turn the tipped around its body and give it a huge advantage in leverage. The hook held and I got it within 10’ when it wallowed and unwound the tippet and I could feel the rod snap upward. One more run and the hook pulled. AARRRGGGHHH!!!

We broke for lunch and tried some water about 100 yards downstream but didn’t get another hit. I called it a day about 2:30 because I didn’t want Mary to push her new knee too much on the first outing and the short day meant we couldn’t get to another access point to beat the dropping temperature. I was pleased as punch Mary hooked and landed two fish of her own. I, on the other hand, gave away my one chance to claim victory over a fish.

Post subject: Re: She's BAAACK!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:12 am 

Fun, thanks!

Glad Mary is better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:35 pm 

Being a "good sport" and helping others fish the best holding spots is often more fun than catching more fish than they. In a way, it is a nice gesture, a "giving back", a showing of respect for those who taught you....it's all part of the sport we enjoy. Bux

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:55 pm 

Nice fishing report, Michael. I’d gladly exchange your frosty cold mornings on the river for the 90°+ days that were about to experience here in SE PA.