Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:42 pm 

I don't recall everybody who was there but it was the 2006 GOTC, I think. All I recall is that it was the day my new boo rod took a horrible set and Fred Bridge liked to ruin himself by stepping into a groundhog hole. We were fishing Smith Creek outside Harrisonburg at Lacey Springs. It was the day we told Sante that the chub he'd caught was a "Virginia grayling."

Anyhow, I was pulling Fred out of the hole when we heard some gawdawful screaming downstream behind us. We knew only Sante was down there and hustled toward him. We were relieved to see him sitting on the bank, not screaming any longer but bending over as if to catch his breath. When we got to him and he could catch his breath, he told us he'd landed a 24 inch rainbow on the wonderful but inadequate boo rod he was using and the antique reel he had on it. About then, I quit having anysympathy ffor him. I'd worked that water a few minutes earlier and had nary a nudge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:00 pm 

Think of it positively, Squire.
You had aroused that large trout from its nap....gave it a few more "show-me -tease me" casts and then stepped away. The grumpy rainbow was riled, aggravated, tormented out of sorts by your skillful teasing drifts,
Sante just happened to be the lucky beneficiary of your generous prep work.
Come to think about it, you have been kind to Doug, Fred, Ed K., Wade, Greg, me and number of others over the years. You can also work Browns and Brookies.
Stay the course, Soldier.
Bux