Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Following directions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:10 pm 

Brian commented on my last post that he liked the photos of the water as much (or more) than the fish. So I thought I’d oblige with this post on yesterday’s efforts.

I headed out about 7:30 Friday morning and wound up parking in the same spot as Wednesday. This time, I immediately crossed the river and headed upstream. The true left bank is lined with riprap and is a deep run with few fish. I didn’t see any rising fish so I wasn’t serious until I got to the wide riffle at the inflow.

I was set up with 2 #16 nymphs and an indicator 4’ above them. I saw a splashy rise in the middle of the riffle but carefully worked the near water first. I hooked a small-ish fish but lost it after only a couple of seconds. I was getting disappointed at the lack of action when the indicator disappeared and I was into a better fish. I worked it away from the good water and landed a nice 2 pound brown.

I managed to land a small brown of 10” before all went quiet and I moved on. At the next hole I faced competition from one of the locals.

There was some lovely quiet water where I was hoping to fish rising fish. I did see a couple but nothing steady.

There was a momentary distraction of a shoal of over 100 fingerlings from last winter’s spawning. I switched to a parachute Adams with a nymph dropper and got a take on the dry which I missed. No more takes as I worked the promising smooth stuff. I finally arrived at the upper end where another riffle beckoned.

I took a couple of small browns and lost a couple more but nothing of much size. The next hole was similar with small browns and nothing interested in a dry.

I stopped for lunch, crossed the river and arrived at a long run similar to the one I started at. gain I didn’t fish the deep run much but waited for a bit more current before I got serious.

I had gone back to two nymphs and an indicator (as small as I could get away with). On about the third cast I got a take from a decent fish but was disappointed in its lack of energy. Still it was my biggest fish of the day at 2.5 pounds.

I managed to hook four and land two more fish of about 1/2 a pound before heading to the top inflow. I spotted a nice fish feeding near my side but could not get it to take any of the several different flies I tried. It moved upstream forcing me to follow and try again. It moved over and the indicator dipped! LIFT! YES! finally a good fish. I steered it downstream and was applying some side pressure when the hook pulled @%#$!. Upon examination, the nymph has a couple of scales on out. WHAT?! How the heck did that happen? Oh well, just a few feet left to check. Then, there he was, a big brown laying in a feeding position at the first holding spot in the riffle. I carefully measured the distance and dropped the indicator/nymph in the riffle just above him. He moved, had a look at the indicator and moved back just as the indicator went under. LIFT! Nope! nothing there and the sudden movement spooked him off. To add insult to injury, it swam back down toward me so I could see just how big it was.

That ended my day and I had at least half a mile walk back to the car. I finished with 12 hooked and 7 landed. A reasonable day.

Post subject: Re: Following directions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:27 am 

I'm with Brian on that subject. Such pretty water. It all looks so shallow due to the clarity of the water I'm sure.

Post subject: Re: Following directions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:11 am 

Love it, thanks!