Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: After the rain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:48 pm 

We finally had some rain on Sunday and it was from the South which meant it was cold. While we didn’t get enough to lift the watering restrictions, the western rivers cam up enough to warrant taking a chance on the fishing.

I met up with Robby, another expatriate American from the club, and we drove to a location I thought would provide some action. We each took our own vehicles because he had just had an offer on a house accepted and might have to quit early to tend to that minor issue. We arrived to find a chilly Southerly breeze coming down the river but with enough clam times to be able to pick out the occasional rising fish. Robby started up the true left bank looking for fish working under the trees while I opted for slightly further out toward midstream. We saw a couple of cicadas struggling on the water but were surprised to not see a fish attack them. A riser was soon spotted tight to a branch hanging into the water. Robby slowly eased forward with his cicada/nymph dropper system.

I too had a rising fish close by and cast a parachute Adams/#16 nymph toward the unsuspecting victim. Robby hollered and I turned to see him into a good brown. I lifted my line to get out of the way in case his fish ran toward me and was rewarded with a take! Doubled up! I netted a nice 2 pounder but Robby’s crowded 3 pounds. It had taken the cicada but when that came loose, the trailing nymph took hold and proved strong enough to bring it to the net.

The early success was short lives as we gradually made our way upstream for about 25 yards. Robby had one more take but missed and I struggled to not spook fish before seeing them. The cold breeze finally got the best of us and we headed back to the vehicles to don jackets and retrieve my backpack. We returned to where we had left off and hings looked up when I hooked and landed a 1.5 pounder and lost another. Robby managed to miss a couple of takes but finally landed fat brown of about 2 pounds. It was now about 11:00 and the land had warmed up enough for the sea air to start pushing against the Southerly breeze and give us calm water. We were now able to spot fish far more easily. I picked off a 1 pounder barely a rod length in front of me and then saw a rise off to my left. I started to cast in that direction when I saw the fish leave his position and start toward me. I quickly dropped my flies about 6’ in front of it and was rewarded with a take. LIFT! YES! WOAH! the fish took off upstream and the 3wt line started disappearing. It got 10’ into my backing before turning and allowing me to recover. The fish was strong but not really large. I spent some time guiding it around the river before finally netting a beautiful 2.5 pound hen.

I walked back out into the river and promptly saw two fish ahead of me. I hooked and lost the closest fish which kindly headed away from the other one. A well placed set of flies and I was into another brown. This one turned out to be 2 pounds and was eager to swim away on release.

We arrived at an area with slightly deeper water along the left side. Fish were sighted all across in front of us with rises at regular intervals. Like most other browns here, they did not hold to a specific station but would move both side-to-side and forward and back in their search for morsels in the drift. Robby had to take a phone call and I was left to inflict depredations on the feeding fish. They were in a major feeding mode and it didn’t seem to matter if I hooked and hauled one away, the other fish remained. At one point, Robby pointed to a rise about 15’ ahead of us and I placed a cast in the right place to take my only fish on a dry all day, release it, have him tell me there was another fish in front of him and catch it on the next cast. We talked about it later and figured I hooked about 8 and landed 4 standing in that one spot. I spent a fair bit of time looking at this view.

When the action there finally eased, we moved forward toward a good riffle/hole we had been eying for a while. We were walking up some shallow (less than knee deep) water when I spotted a nice fish to our left. Unfortunately, it spooked when Robby cast to it. Not to worry, we didn’t go 20 feet when Robby saw a good fish in front of him and hooked it on his first cast.

His efforts were successful

and he had his second fish close to 3 pounds

We finally got to the area we had aimed for and Robby saw the biggest fish of the day only to have it drift off as he was preparing to cast. He did hook (and lose) another fish in the same area. I worked my way across the current to check out the opposite side of the main current. I caught three more of 1-2 pounds in quick succession while I watched Robby get frustrated missing strikes. Obviously NZ browns didn’t react like the Colorado fish he was used to. Not to worry, we had a great time. I hooked 18-20 and landed 12 while Robby got the two largest fish of the day.

Post subject: Re: After the rain
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:43 pm 

Thanks Mike.

We're digging out from under another 18" snow (that arrived with steady 25 MP winds, gusting 10 50 MPH, so drift city) and overnight lows around -15° F...so I'm really appreciating those pictures!