Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Saturday trip
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 pm 

Too cold to fish here but not too cold for a jaunt.

Ol' Cuz and I joined Billy Booker and a fellow named Gordon Luhr to go the Rapidan Chaper TU annual fly fishing show in Warrenton yesterday. Lots of lying and tle telling since while Ol' Cuz, Billy and I have all heard the lies we tell on each other for years, Gordon was a fresh audience and Ol' Cuz and I had to make sure Billy hadn't entirely misled him regarding us and inflated his own prowess. Billy, for example, hadn't remembered to tell Gordon about the time he'd shot at a groundhog from the front seat of his vehicle and shot off his own sideview mirror in the process.

I was particularly glad to meet Gordon since I'd met his wife years ago and knew he owns some to the best brook trout water in eastern Blue Ridge. Turned out he fishes the same streams I do. I was real nice to him and gave him a couple of IPWs.

We had lunch in Tom Frost's diner in Warrenton which hasn't changed whit since I first went there about 50 years ago. Unfortunately for us the diner had sold out of it's "gravy of the day" before we got there.

The show was OK but not spectacular. We did see some old acquaintances but were unsuccessful in convincing Ol' Cuz he really needed another 3 weight 'boo. I'd hoped to see Richie Farino there but I missed him. We couldn't convince him to buy a teeny-weenie reel, either. "You have match the tool to the task," I told him recalling what Fred Bridge inscribed on tiny landing net he made for me.

We'd have gotten home sooner but Ol' Cuz had us stop at antique shop so he could hunt for antique fishing lures. He wound up with an Pico Perch. Outside, he asked me to read what was printed on it since he couldn't make it out. "Made in Taiwan," I lied to him. He'd spent $3 on it and tight as he is I thought he was going to cry until I fessed up to the lie. Gordon had us stop at Clark Brother's gun shop. He bought something but none of us bought anything heavy duty. I saw a Chinese copy of an M-14 which was about the nastiest looking piece I've ever seen.

Anyhow, I know this isn't an MLS report, but it's the best I have so far this year.

Post subject: Re: A Saturday trip
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:18 pm 

Good for you Squire, glad to hear you got out. I believe it does you good to be around folks who can tell stories and lie as well as you can. It keeps you sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:13 pm 

Colston, my reports never have that many friend and relatives in them. Those kind of general get togethers are always fun and provide additional stories for next year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 am 

We went to the Southeast Wildlife Exhibition in Charleston, SC this past weekend. Good fly casting demo, with some good tips for casting into the wind and how to toss flies to redfish and bones. Lots of Boykin Spaniels. Dock dog trials (dogs jumping for deeks into pools, competition is for distance jumped). Good presentation on Deer management and the future of hunting (the plan is to step up efforts on marketing to 35 year olds and above and to abandon marketing to folks under 35 - I see a potential return to older demographic approaches for hook and bullet magazines if this works).

It was funny watching all the hordes in the audience dressed in their outdoor uniforms - brush pants in the middle of a city park, women in riding pants with no horses to be seen.

Apparently there are a lot of yoga enthusiasts in Charleston. I saw thousands of women wearing yoga pants...luckily, most of them looked the part.

And then at night, watching the women at the soirees - dressed to the nines in heels the shortest of which was maybe 4 inches and some towered twice that. There were a ton of tight dresses worn by women who work really hard to look good in a tight dress.

Southern women do work hard to look good. And we appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:51 pm 

Cool shot of the dock dog. The border collie is awesome too. I love dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:16 pm 

Good report Doug. Looks like a nice day spent.