Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weather reports
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:35 pm 

I am getting real tired of weather reports that are inaccurate right up to the last minute. I had hoped to be able to go fishing today when I got home from my work trip to the North Island. I checked the weather report last night and it was for overnight rain clearing this morning but with strong winds. I wasn't hopeful of getting out but I took solace that the rain should help cool off the rivers and bring them up from very low flows (almost drought levels). So, I get up this morning and, sure enough, it is windy. However, there is no hint that we have had any rain. A quick check on the local Met Service web site shows no rain at all. The wind will dry things out even more and now the lowland rivers are in serious trouble.

Post subject: Re: Weather reports
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 pm 

I can feel your pain in a very different way. Our local TV weather heads started about Tuesday warning us about an upcoming "winter storm" for Friday thru Sunday. Snow supposed to start by 12:00 midnight last night with 4-6"of snow. Travel advisory in effect!!!!

When I woke up this morning, 04:30, there was no snow. By the time I got me lazy arse out of the bed at 07:50, it had started snowing relatively hard with a 15-20 mph E. wind. The TV had started posting things that were going to be closed Sunday, and even Monday already. It snowed kinda hard all day, and the wind blew. We got a total of about 8 inches by the time it quit snowing at 19:00 this evening. The wind did kick up to 20mph steady, gusting to 30.

I don't mean to sound like the old timer complaining about this new generation, but for God sake, when I was in junior High and High School I walked to school. Not a mile uphill both ways, but about a half mile on level ground each way. I used to walk to school when the prediction was 4-6" of snow. It was just winter for Christ sake!!!. What a bunch of P^&&ies we have become. The world is basically gonna end if we get 6" of snow.... Help me Jesus, please Help Me!!!!

I got out late morning and ran the snow blower on the drive just to make it easire when the last of it was done. I did run to the corner store and bought smokes. I tied a couple of Pike flies, and a couple of 40# Amnesia to 20# wire leaders. I had a couple of glasses of bourbon. I watched Indiana University Hoosiers get their Arses kicked by arch rival Purdue. I ate left overs of a great sandwich called a Roadkill. Best Sandwich ever. Now I'm sitting in my chair, posting on the GOTC website.....about nothing.....Which is what this whole Winter Storm Warning amounted to.....NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 pm 

Same storm projected for us too, Rex.

The storm missed us to the south. We were supposed to get 3-6 inches.
We got zero accumulation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:44 pm 

Now we're supposed to get cold..Next Tuesday thru Friday are projected to have highs of 16, -5,0, and 12, with overnight lows of -10, -15, -7, and -7. Enough already!!!