Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blame Bux
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 pm 

Mr Laine has gold me it is my duty to torment you with tales and photos of big fish while you shiver through winter. Ever obedient to one of the most senior members of the Clan, I submit today’s excursion.

I left the house shortly after 7:00 am and headed East to make sport with some fat rainbows. I was on the water by 8:30 and started working the near deep run. Absolutely nothing from my side of the current. There was a quiet bit on the far side that had a lot of foam where I had good success in low water last season. I waded into the main inflow but because of the reduced volume, I could easily stand at the halfway point. A cast and high stick technique allowed the nymph to sink before a I made few short strips to twitch the nymph. There was a brief tug that I missed but provided encouragement. Repeating the procedure got a smashing strike that broke the 5x at the nymph. Tied on a similar fly and tried again. This time the tippet held and I was onto a strong fish. I backed to my side of the river but the fish wasn’t having any of it and stayed on the opposite side of the main flow. Almost a minute of this and sadly, the hook pulled. I figured I had disturbed the fish enough for the moment and headed upstream with a plan to fish the spot when I came back.

I hadn’t fished upstream of this access point for a long time, preferring to work a run and big hole downstream. This season I have been trying to fish areas I haven’t fished before or not fished for some time so I crossed and headed up river. The first fish I saw were some fingerling rainbows rising to some unseen (and perhaps nonexistent) food source. Further along I spotted a good brown cruising the shallows close by my side. I dropped my nymph slightly ahead and to the right and the fish cruised right on by with disdain. I quickly dug out a #16 black parachute fly, switched weapons and turned back to the fish. That too was ignored. It then swam out and upstream to disappear *sigh*.

I continued walking but saw nothing for the next 100 feet. I then saw another cruising brown along my side but it went past an old stump and vanished. I was heartened when I saw a wide riffle with deep water on the far side. Much careful casting with good drifts and swings downstream proved fruitless. By now I’m getting discouraged especially when I spooked a fish crossing the top end of the riffle. I proceeded up to a swift narrow run. I worked it for some distance with no luck but it just looked too good to give up on. I got to about 20-30 feet from the tumbling inflow when my indicator dipped and I was suddenly into a strong fish. At first, I wasn’t sure if it was a brown or rainbow because it didn’t’t jump or run much. It was a few minutes until it sped 20 feet downstream and I guessed correctly ‘Rainbow’. The fish continued to stay in the current despite side pressure but finally eased over to my side. Some careful manoeuvring and I finally slipped it into the net. A beautiful fat 4 pound hen rainbow.

I fished the rest of the run without success and headed back downstream. As I approached the old stump I eased between some willows to have a look. There lay the big brown resting quietly near some shade.

I didn’t bother him because I figured he was avoiding moving much with the increasing water temperature. He was close to my bank in shallow water and the sun was fierce. I carefully turned around and eased up the bank. When I looked back, that slight movement had alerted the fish and he had turned in a small circle to see what was moving on the bank.

I left him to his siesta and returned to the hole where I had started. This time I was on the opposite side of the river and eased down to the foam flecked area. In a clear patch I could see several trout working the inflow including a couple of good sized ones. Trouble was there wasn’t much room to some willow branches hanging in the water. I tried the indicator/nymph I had on and got one small pull but no hook ups. I tried to use a parachute with a dropper but the foam made keeping track of the parachute’s post all but impossible. I switched to a big Royal Wulff as an indicator but the fish just were not taking a drifting nymph. Back to minimalism. I changed to just a #14 copper BHPT with no indicator. A short cast, pause to allow the nymph to sink a bit and slow stripping got nothing until I slowly lifted to cast again when there was a soft tug. I set the hook into a solid fish. It stayed reasonably close at first but I was sure I had another rainbow. I was feeling confident when the fish decided to strut his stuff and took off downstream. I couldn’t cross the river and wasn’t sure the fish would cross the main current anyway so I just watched the line peel off until there was only one turn before the backing. I now had to retrieve all that line and work the fish until it finally tired. I was relieved when I got the 3.5 pounder into the net.

I decided that was enough. It was getting hot and further hookups would probably put a lot of stress on any fish. I realise I am on a hot streak but I’m going to keep at it for as long as I can.

Post subject: Re: Blame Bux
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:41 am 

Michael. your articles are the best news I read all day. Thank you.

John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:10 am 

Great stuff Michael. Keep getting after them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 am 

Grand report!
Thanks for brightening my day.