Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cabin fever.....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:43 am 

.....I'm feeling the early effects already... :( Not a good sign.
Used to easily slip from the brooks and rivers into bird and then the snowy deer season.... I miss the annual regaining of the balance adjusting to the field, hill and bog tromping. I'm finding out that it isn't simply the partridge and the white-tails....it's the big woods, the silence, the reversion to our more basic, inborn, buried genes. We are better able to reconnect with our real selves when alone in the big woods.
I recall one moment on the hunt. It was drizzling rain and I was leaning against a large tree. Four does came up to the tree and stopped. One of them leaned against me for a few minutes, then they silently continued on their way. I've never felt so close to the roots of primitive man....I was part of it all, if just for a moment. Bux

Post subject: Re: Cabin fever.....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:15 pm 

A doe leaned against you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:59 am 

You address many of the reasons that we choose to live away from town. Most of what you talk of is a short walk out the back door, year 'round.

Add the quiet, and fewer people to interact with...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:36 am 

Absolutely why I moved out of NYC soon after I retired.I dont get cabin fever because every morning,rain,snow ,hot or cold I walk my dogs 3-5 miles along different trails whithin 2-10 mins of my front door.If I dont feel like driving,I got 2 neighbors to my right,past that there are 4 houses in a 5 mile stretch,all farm land,I have permission from everyone to run my dogs in their fields.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:27 pm 

NYFLY: Where and in what state do you now live?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:11 pm 

JD wrote:
NYFLY: Where and in what state do you now live?

I believe he lives within the realm of Prince Andrew Cuomo.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 pm 

Yeah,NY.Columbia county.You mean Princess Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:33 pm 

NYFLY wrote:
A doe leaned against you?

Yup, a doe leaned against me. I was leaning snug to the tree in the rain. The tree was bare of leaves, but the limbs offered a slight protection...it was a large tree. I was wearing my old, oiled Barbour field coat which was already dripping water...and likely masking any human scents.
I'll have to tell my grandson the story... I gave him that coat a couple of years ago and he wore it to dinner last week...they're not cheap, but they last for generations. Bux

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:37 pm 

NYFLY wrote:
Yeah,NY.Columbia county.You mean Princess Andrew

I just looked at Columbia County, NY on Google Maps...looks lovely.

New York State is, in my mind, like California in important way: Gorgeous away from the cities.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:39 am 

Yeah,FN,thats true,and probably true of most states,get away from the cities.Columbia Co is a bit "flat" for my tastes,but I'm right on the Mass border,one of the trails I take with the hounds takes me across the border.I look off my front porch at the Berkshires,less than a mile away.Its an ideal location,for us.My wife doesnt drive so we are close enough to town that she can walk out the door,make a left and the "town" is about 200 yds away.Its a very small town,makes Mayberry look like a city.If you walk down Main St there are a couple businesses,a diner,a convenience store/gas station a bar and not much more.All the property behind Main St is farms.Lots of wildlife,I had a bear walk thru my yard a couple weeks ago.I often see a pack of coyotes when I walk thru the fields down my road,watched them chase a couple deer one day,passed about 50 yds from us.I have a decent trout stream that passes about 100 yds across the road,but the best fishing in it is about a mile north of me.I am less than an hour from my favorite Catskill creeks.Everybody complains about taxes in NY,but my property taxes are so low,I dont even remember the exact number,less than 2k a year.My car payments are higher than my monthly mortgage/tax payments.Sure,there are a lot of things wrong with NY,but I think the same would be true wherever you live,but for me,I love NY.