Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:35 pm 

John Macko, a British friend of his, and I fished the waters of Stone Mountain....lots of rock climbing and wading, but only one trout...I caught a 14" brown on a Mother's Day caddis. For those unfamiliar with North Country nomenclature, a Mother's Day Caddis is a dry Caddis with a black body.
There was no hatch, no reason and no delicate presentation involved. BUT, the moon-phase calendar called it.

I've restored my mind and body with shrimp and wine and can now accept the fact that my presentation was the sole basis of the catch. If there is any other add-on, a large muskrat swam by (3 feet away) to bless my accomplishment. There you have it....and I'ill sleep like a rock tonight.

Bux

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:57 pm 

Good for you, Bux! And having an obviously distorted imagination certainly adds to the memory: " ... my presentation was the sole basis of the catch." YPJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:22 pm 

Jim,

That has often been a factor in my frequent successful outings...having a creative bent, with the faint, yet distinct, sounds of ruffles and flourishes, adds to such moments...that said, feigned modesty is easily expressed with a tug of the ear lope, a humble shrug* or a kick of the turf.

Bux

*very brief, one shoulder only. It's all in the timing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:37 pm 

Don't forget the "Aw shucks."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:33 am 

John,

Having been raised "down-state" (Suffolk (Long Island) and later, Putnam county....I therefore missed the "shucks, golly gee, drat and I do declare" youthful slang. You Westchester County lads were smoother.
Our group were having their mouths washed with Fels Namptha laundry soap before entering kindergarten.

Bux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:26 pm 

Mouth-washing? Sissies. In Westchester County, we were subject to corporal punishment. We either mastered the euphemisms, or learned to swear in Italian and complain in Yiddish.

John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:05 pm 

Rancid....that comment about swearing in Italian was right on mark!
Returning from our recent fishing trip:
A driver cut me off on a high speed exit from the bypass and as I swerved and braked, I called him a chadrool The Englishman asked me what that word was...he had never heard it before. I told him it was NY Italian left over from my military school years. Others can look it up.

Bux

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:42 pm 

Ha! As someone once said, the lessons most painfully learned are the last forgotten.

John